Thursday 15 January 2009

I want to hate Facebook, but it's getting so hard.

Several years ago, a friend of mine told me that there was a great way for her to let a whole group of friends know about a particular event or gathering. It was a new site called Facebook, and according to her, lots of people were starting to use it.

Being the open minded, cheery, light hearted chap that I am (Oh come on, I only rant in these blogs to release my inner demons. Can you imagine having to deal with someone that negative on a daily basis? You’d have to punch them in the face just to get through the day, and that’s no way to live) I joined Facebook.

Shortly after this, I never bothered looking at it again. The End. OK, not quite, there is a little more to it. You see, I’m a strong believer in networking. I network at trade shows, at parties, even at the occasional networking group. This type of networking however, is a far cry from what passes for this new buzz term of the decade – Social Networking.

Can you imagine being at a party where everyone introduced themselves the same way they do on Facebook? “Hi, I’m Paul and I’m introducing myself to a stranger right now. Would you like to be my friend? That way, I can let you know every time I feel like eating a bloody sandwich!”

That’s not networking. It’s drivel. More recently though, I’ve actually found a use for Facebook. As you know, I’m running in the Marathon. Of course you know that – I only mention it every chance I get. Facebook was a great way for me to let a whole group of people know how they could go about sponsoring me, and I am pleased to say that it actually worked.

Now don’t get me wrong, this has not made me completely change my view on the thousands of people who feel the need to take time out of their day to log on to a website in order to change their status to "Dave is hungry and wants to eat McDonalds". Here’s a clue Dave – go to McDonalds then. Facebook may have a lot less calories than a Big Mac, but then there's no gherkin. I love gherkins, but we'll talk about that some other time.

Networking, in all its forms, does have true value, but only if it’s done properly. Now when you next find yourself in a networking opportunity (that’s any and all conversations you ever have by the way), what information will you leave behind which could lead to more business for you and your company?

A snazzy business card won’t do it. You need a hook – a reason for that person to not only take your call, but to remember you to the people that he is networking with too.

I’m here to help you, and the answers are not going to be found in this blog. I need to meet you. Together, we can work out exactly what your hook is and truly maximise its potential. Call me today and we’ll set up what I hope can be a life changing meeting for both of us.

What do I charge for this guru like consultation?

Nothing at all – it’s free.

That’s my hook.

Remember me?

3 comments:

Simon Patnick said...

I hate Facebook, and yet i love networking. Why, because they made gazillions $$$$ and I am insanely jealous, the end.......

Anonymous said...

Who are you again?
Facebook - I don't hate it, but I don't and won't have an account. I sit at a computer all day, every day, I have one at home for personal "stuff" - I don't want to spend the rest of my time looking at Facebook!!!

Anonymous said...

Great point you made here Paul! I equate FB to Fat Butt and Flat Broke because it can be such a time waster. Butt (I know, I did that on purpose) at the end of the day it allows you to 'stay' connected to those who are important to you. People do check in to see what is going on with you. And if you are interesting they will keep checking. Here you can mildly drop hints about your business.

Speaking of connections 'will you be my friend?' hahaha :-)

Chris
For Free and For Fun
For a FREE expansion audio visit our site.
Author of For Free and For Fun - How to Ask for an Appointment and Get It.