Thursday 17 June 2010

Sorry to interrupt? NEVER!

We’ve all been through it – it’s the end of a long day and we’ve finally kicked off our shoes and settled onto the sofa when WHAM! The phone rings and once you’ve said “hello” three times waiting for the call centre operator’s software to kick in, they launch into their pitch:

“Good evening Mr Rose. Sorry to bother you. I’m calling from wer;lkjvfwe0r9qwecvnuwer…….zzzzzzzz” I mean they may as well be speaking gibberish after that awful opening. “Sorry to bother you” is a line that really makes the hairs on the back of my neck stick up.

The problem is that it is weak, and it sucks all of the confidence out of the call. The person trying to sell you their goods or services clearly doesn’t believe that what they have to offer is any good. If they did, it wouldn’t be a bother at all would it.

I mean think about it. Does this sound like a likely scenario? “Good evening Mr Rose, I’m calling from National Savings and Investments and I am delighted to tell you that you have just won one million pounds!!!!”

Are the people at NSI sorry to bother me? Of course not. They know I am going to be ecstatic about the reason they’re calling.

Are people going to be just as pleased to take your call? Sure, chances are you’re not calling to give them something, but if you really believe in the value of your product, why wouldn’t you be just as enthusiastic?

“Good morning Mr Prospect. My name is Paul Rose and I’m calling today to see just how we can help you make the most of your promotional merchandise.” I’m not sorry to bother them because I am there to help them. It’ll come across in the tone of my voice and the shake of my hand when I meet them.

That’s right – they’re lucky I called. I could have helped any one of their competitors today but I chose to offer my expertise to them! Now do the people making sales calls in your organisation put out the same vibe when they pick up the phone? If not, then they’ll be sorry……

No comments: