Thursday 8 July 2010

My Supermarket Thinks I'm an Idiot

Now I don't think it's fair to name names here - in fact it may even constitute liable, but I'm getting just a little bit fed up with my local supermarket. I'm faced with aisle upon aisle of special offers - buy one get one free, buy two for only £5, buy three and the cheapest item costs nothing and blah blah blah.

The trouble is that these offers are robbing people of their hard earned cash - buying two perishable items, desperately believing that they'll eat both of them before their sell by date and giving themselves a pat on the back for saving that all important 50p.

But the deals are all wrong, and to illustrate my point - here are three deals that I spotted whilst shopping last night:

Dairylea Cheese Slices - perfect for the burgers that you'll be doing on the BBQ this weekend. 16 slices will cost you £1.86. Not bad. However, 8 slices will cost you £1.25 and this week it's by one, get one free! What moron is going to be buying the 16 pack?

Caffeine Free Diet Coke - my wife drinks it so don't judge me. A pack of 8 cans for only £3.50, or if you prefer, you can take home a pack of 12 cans for.....wait for it.....£3.50!

Fabric Softener - 1.5l for just £3.37, or you can buy 750ml for £1.67. Hold on a sec - doesn't that mean that if I buy two bottles I actually save money? Well yes it does, and this is a major bone of contention for me, because these people are essentially encouraging people to go through more packaging. It's ecologically unsound to encourage us to buy 2 smaller bottles as opposed to one big one, and the argument against that could fill another blog all on its own.

The supermarket's response to these errors? "Well it's the price we're told to sell at," oh come off it, you're a major client to the suppliers, so you should be able to dictate the prices that you charge, don't go fobbing it off on some faceless distributor! Now I want to see how many more of these ridicuous offers are out there, so please send them to me, either as a comment to this blog or on an email, and let's see if we can collectively do something about this.

Remember, I won't name names - but every little helps.

No comments: